Sunday, January 21, 2007

Photographing Ice Sculptures

It's been a wonderful weekend for indulging my photography habit. Yesterday I made two trips to the Plymouth Ice Spectacular. It's the 25th anniversary of the ice carving festival and it continues to get bigger and better each year. I made my first trip over there in the late morning and got some great shots. The sun was shining and the sky was mostly blue with a few puffy white clouds here and there. The air was nippy but the crowd was festive. The ice carvings were fantastic!

The photo on the right was one of my favorite carvings... this kitty looks just like my Vladi! If you'd like to see the other ice carving photos I took during the day you can view them at my online album here. (I always recommend the slide show view.)


I went back in the evening and took a whole 'nother slew of photos. A new group of carvers had been exercising their talents during the day so there were new carvings to see. And since the ice festival is 24/7 the carvings are lit for night viewing. And the lighting is really something. The carvings become magical and very dramatic. Just awesome. The photo on the left was carved by a team from Japan and it's Pegasus, the winged horse. If you'd like to see the other ice carving photos I took during the evening you can view them at my online album here. Enjoy!